Monday, December 13, 2010

A New Adventure

Today we started on a new adventure. We have decided to homeschool Nate. It was not a decision we made lightly. We have been talking about it for a while now. He has had a rough time in school this year. Nate has ADHD. He had a 504 plan at school, but it did not provide the accommodations necessary to make school a positive learning environment for him. His teacher would rather send him home, or to the office, or to a kindergarten class (he's in 2nd grade) than try to find a way to keep him in the classroom.

The last straw: when I had to pick him up last Friday. While I was in the office, another child was trying to get the attention of the the substitute principal who was talking to me. She turned to him and said, "You are invisible." Seriously. No one should ever speak to a child that way, let alone a school administrator. Now, not only does the this school fail to meet my child's educational needs; now I cannot trust them to protect my child's sense of self. That's it, I'm done.

So, now we begin a new adventure into homeschooling. This is not entirely new to us (the parents); we homeschooled Nate's oldest brother Joshua for 4th and 5th grade. He's in college now, so we must have done ok. This is new to Nate, but he is on board. Hopefully, it's not just because he "doesn't have to go to school."

Today, we were going to enroll him in Sierra Charter School. This was the school that we used (10 years ago) to homeschool his brother. Apparently, the school had grown a lot since then. Now they have a wait list and we can't get in until mid-January at the earliest. I checked into Crescent View Charter and will be attending their orientation in January. I guess for this week (the last week before winter break) Nate will be "sick." Nate and I also went to the school supply store to get some things to start out with. He picked a multiplication fact book, and I chose another math book and a writing book. Writing is one of his least favorite subjects, so we'll have to stay on top of that. Hopefully, this blog will help with that too.

So, this is where we are now. Check in often. I plan to share what homeschooling looks like in our house. I'd love to heard from other homeschoolers, please leave a message. Anyone else? Let me know you were here to. This is Nate's blog, so please keep it nice as he will be reading, and sharing sometimes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment